にほんブログ村
About Liquid and Gas Handling
Hello. I’m Yasui Shacho, and I run a company primarily engaged in the inspection of high-pressure gas facilities.
My recommended way to enjoy books by listening is Audible. They have quite a good selection of books these days.
Sign up here → Amazon Audible
I get a lot of hard jobs.
When I think about how much work we have been doing, I honestly think it’s pretty amazing that we’ve managed to handle all of it.
Handling Liquid LP Gas
Thanks to putting my thinking cap on, things went well.
It didn’t go exactly as originally planned.
As expected, V8 could not provide enough flow through the piping, and when we throttled the compressor, it quickly stopped.
If using the gas phase, I think a relatively versatile approach would be to connect a coupling at the end of the loading arm and then connect it to the upstream side of the safety valve using a hose of around 20A.
It was really good that we were able to handle the gas remaining in the piping at the filling station without releasing any liquid at all and without using empty cylinders.
It would be great if we could develop this into a standardized procedure to some extent.
The conditions this time were:
One storage tank
Bulk delivery available
One liquid transfer pump
Dispenser installed
One rotary filling machine and one stationary filling machine
The terminal point is the dispenser.
At the filling area, the piping runs underneath the roof, so the piping drops down toward the terminal.
We isolated the bulk delivery side and the filling-station side with valves and proceeded with liquid handling separately.
We first handled the gas on the delivery side and recovered the gas. Then, using the pressure difference, we let the liquid in the filling area flow out roughly.
In the end, we connected the systems back together and pressurized the piping on the filling-station side as well. Since warm gas was introduced, it seemed that liquid was less likely to remain trapped in the piping.
We started gas recovery and confirmed that the pressure inside the piping was decreasing.
We also physically checked the piping from which the gas was being drawn as a precaution.
If you reduce the pressure to some extent and then leave it for a while, any liquid remaining in the piping should cause the pressure to rise again as it vaporizes.
Before releasing it again, I think it would be a good idea to perform gas recovery once more.
I got the idea for this method from the way I had previously handled liquid and gas in ammonia systems, including gas recovery.
With ammonia, when liquid remains trapped in the piping and begins to vaporize, it quickly becomes cold and vaporization almost stops.
We would sometimes apply heat to promote vaporization, but as you would expect from a refrigerant, it is extremely inefficient.
We used to pull out as much gas as possible that day, then come back the next day, find that the pressure had risen again, and recover it once more.
LP gas is our customer's product, an important resource, and a flammable gas.
Considering all of that, avoiding simply releasing and disposing of it as much as possible is in everyone's interest.
Of course, there are situations where a large amount of gas inevitably has to be released.
Even in those cases, it may be possible to process it more safely, for example, by combustion.
Perhaps this is something we need to think about more seriously going forward.
Of course, combustion brings up a whole different set of considerations, but the point is that we need to continue discussing and looking for ways to handle these situations safely while keeping costs as low as possible.
I need to do more of this work and continue building up my knowledge and experience.
I'll keep working to improve!
Thank you very much for reading this far!
See you next time!
Finally, please click the button below♪
To the Management Blog on Blogmura
Blogmura
